Thursday, December 8, 2011

The count down begins

ETA: 4 Days.

Actually, we've been counting down for a while now. The tickets for this trip were bought in July. Originally, this trip was intended for only Pan and me. Somehow, my mom and dad ended up coming along, too. So on December 13th, be prepared to read about a trip featuring Pan, myself, my mom, my dad, Pan's parents, and sundry relatives.

What I've done for the trip so far is:

- Purchase a good international medical insurance policy for my mother. This trip is going to be very special for her. We've all had a long, tough year, but it's been especially rough for her. She became ill this past February with cardiac sarcoid.  After getting a pacemaker put in and seeing a rotating schedule of doctors and being placed on ten different medications, she's now been cleared for travel. I can't seem to shake the PTSD of the whole ordeal, though. I'm praying that this trip is the right decision for her, and that the benefits of her seeing China for the first time and enjoying a vacation will outweigh the risks (jet lag, exhaustion, ventricular tachycardia, diabetic crisis).

- Pampering Nail appointments, facials, new clothes, new shoes :) A good portion of this trip is supposed to be about presentation. I will be um... evaluated by the Pan clan. I'm pretty sure no matter what they say, Pan will marry me anyway :) However, I want to look my best. And it's always nice to have new stuff!

- Toby Oh dear me, I'm really going to miss my kitty friend :( But we've found someone to take care of him while we're in China. It'll be longest separation we've ever had. But at least he gets to stay at home. Maybe I'll  hide some bits of cat nip in odd places for him to find.

- Brush up on my Chinese etiquette Don't speak unless spoken to when interacting with my elders. Always pour tea at the table (can't people just pour their own damn tea @(#%&? ) . Don't talk back, don't look pissed, don't have an opinion, don't...breathe! Just... don't.

- Diet Sadly, I tried but didn't succeed. I will gain 5 pounds, guaranteed in China. Oh well.

On the whole, I'm very excited about this trip. It's the first time since 2000 that I've flown to Asia. And I've never been to China. I've only ever been to Taiwan.

4 comments:

  1. Holy Cow R! I didn't realize that it was already time for your big trip to China. I honestly hope that this trip is everything you want it to be. After all that has gone on before throughout the past few years, you deserve to have this important event go well.

    I'm excited to read about your travels and I hope that you'll have the time to post about meeting the future in-laws.

    {massive squish}
    Helen (MHS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariana: a co-worker of Pan's is stopping in a few times a week. If I didn't live so far away, I would have asked you!

    Helen: Hiiii! Yes, the trip sneaked up on me, too. It still hasn't hit me completely quite yet.

    Wow, blogger has no threaded commenting system? I thought LJ was outdated...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Helen

    Hiii! yes, the trip sneaked up on me, too. It still hasn't hit me completely quite yet.

    ReplyDelete